Sunday, June 12, 2011

Shall we dance ...?

For those of you that know that is a song in the Rogers and Hammerstein musical - The King and I - bravo! For those of you that don't, why on earth not? LOL

As I said in my last post, this week has been BUSY! Part of that busy-ness was going up to Kansas City's Starlight Theater and seeing the revival of THE KING AND I starring - Lou Diamond Phillips!

I adore this story! I know it is mostly fiction (if not fully fiction), but there is just something about it that draws me. And having see all the versions of it that Hollywood has put out, I must give props to Lou Diamond Phillips for his adaptation. He gave it a very fun, and playful spin, while also upping the sexiness of the King/Anna star-crossed lovers aspect.

If you are interested in reading a interview/article about Lou Diamond Phillips in the KC Star, here's the link!

The one complaint that I have about the whole experience was that I couldn't take pictures! One of the cast members does have some photos up on her website, but I am not sure how long they will stay up. So check them out real soon!

The evening did end of a really good note, since after the production, Lou Diamond Phillips did come out to say hi to all dozen or so of us that stayed 30 minutes after to meet him. My daughter was THRILLED! And she got her poster signed (as did I).

If you are interested in the various versions of the King and I story, there is of course the book Anna and the King of Siam by Margaret Landon. Then the Rex Harrison black and white Anna and the King version, the Yul Brenner musical King and I, the animated kid's movie of King and I, and the Jodi Foster/Chow Yun-Fat remake Anna and the King. I admit, I own all four versions of the movie (including the animated version) as well as a hardbound of the book. I think the hardbound is even a first edition, but I am not sure. I got it used from the downtown library for sometime like $2.00 in a book sale. LOL

No comments: