Saturday, March 01, 2008

Lions, Tigers, an onry Serval, oh my!

Today was a beautiful day here, so my family and I headed up to the Kansas City zoo. http://www.kansascityzoo.org/ Last time we went up, the African section was still closed, since it was cold. Today though was a beautiful 60+ degrees, and the Zoo had planned on opening the African area up on March 1st if it was nice.

The best part about going right after it opens up, and while it is still fairly cool, is that the cats are more active.

We got to see the Lions (my daughter's favorite) actually moving around. Normally they look like lawn ornaments. LOL

We also were able to see the Sumatran Tigers (which are always there, and are my fav cats) but they were actually moving all over the place, the Leopard (one of my hubby's favorites) and the Cheetahs (my hubby's other favorite). We took some fantastic pictures, spent about a half hour or more at each of the cat exhibits, and had a lot of fun.

The only down point of the day was the reclusive Serval. We could hear it moving around, but it stayed in a corner where it couldn't be seen. We managed to catch a few glimpses of it, but only a flash at a time.

Even if you don't live in the area, you can take a virtual tour of some of the zoo thanks to 360kc.com http://www.360kc.com/Attractions/KansasCityZoo.html It doesn't have any of the cats, but its still rather neat.

The zoo is currently working on a new front entrance, which will have River Otters, a very playful animal, and another of my favorites.

No comments: