Thursday, February 07, 2008

Thursday Thirteen: 13 Books I have read recently

Thirteen Things about Michelle Houston


Thirteen books that I have read recently. I know, it's a bit of a let down, but I am easing back into trying to post daily (or at least weekly). LOL

PLEASE keep in mind that any comments I make are not in any professional capacity. I am just sharing what I thought of some books that I have read recently.

1. Mine To Entice by Nalini Singh http://www.nalinisingh.com/


Whoohoo. This writer is HOT. I have read all of the books in the psy/changling series numerous times except the newest one because as soon as I finished it my friend snatched it to read. LOL


So now I have to know, when does the next one come out? LOL It's going to drive me nuts waiting ...


2. The Accidental Vampire by Lynsay Sands http://www.lynsaysands.net/

This is another series that I have followed since the beginning. It's a family of vampires, some more disfunctional than others, who are fun loving, passionate, and very devoted to their partners.

3. Vampires Are Forever by Lynsay Sands

Follows The Accidental Vampire. Next month there is another in the series coming out. I love it when that happens, but I hate then having to wait forever for the next one to come out.

4. The Undead Next Door by Kerrelyn Sparks http://www.kerrelynsparks.com/

Another series that I have been reading since the beginning. Thevampires are also fairly fun-loving, although they are engaged in a ceturies old battle with the Malcontents and are trying to keep humans from being aware of their existance, something the Malcontents aren't so cautious of.

5. Sex & the Immortal Bad Boy by Stephanie Rowe http://www.stephanierowe.com/

I'm not sure how to describe this series. Odd is defifinitly it. Ms Rowe takes a very tongu-ein-cheek attitude towards Satan, love, Dragons, Immortals and sex. And has a LOT of fun doing so. I'd say this is more for fans of MaryJanice Davidson and Michele Bardsley than those that love angst ridden paranormal romances.

6. Full Moon Rising by Keri Arthur http://www.keriarthur.com/

The same friend that snatched my Nalini Singh book shared one of her favorite authors with me. I have to say, I like the premise of this series, but I am not so certain that I like the way it is caried out - at least not regarding the love life of the main character.

It isn't the multiple partners I have a problem with. That's kind of nice. It's the fact that all of them, save one very manipulative vampire, have been flat out shits to her. And knowing they are shits, she still kept going back for the hot sex. That bothers me a bit.

The character is very much a strong willed woman, except in that one regard. And I can set aisde sex for work sake (since sometimes in her line of work, she has to do that to get secrets her employer needs to basically save the other races), but when its on her own time, by choice, and she still keeps going back to assholes who walk all over her? That bothers me.

7. Kissing Sin by Keri Arthur

Out of fairness, I did give other books in the series a try - which is part of where my above comments are from. And I will read at least the next book (which comes out in April), because I am hopeful that the main character will FINALLY find a guy worth being in a commiteed relationship with. A fling doesn't count.

But again, I LIKE the premise. And I LOVE that a certain side character is gay, and the while the author doesn't go in to details (damnit) the reader does know that he is happy.

8. Tempting Evil by Keri Arthur

9. Dangerous Games by Keri Arthur

10. Embraced By Darkness by Keri Arthur

11. Lover Unbound by J R Ward http://www.jrward.com/

This is the fifth book in a series dealing with the Brotherhood, a sect of vampires fighting an immortal evil, while trying to protect those weaker than themselves.

My oh my are these guys full of angst. Some even self-loathing. But there is something about these books that sucks you in and doesn't let go. When Angela Knight recommended them, I deicded to give them a try, since I love most of her work. And I was glad I did, but not for the warm fuzzy feeling after reading them - because that didn't happen. Rather they are aditict for a reason I can't pin-point.

12. A Touch of Minx by Suzanne Enoch http://www.suzanneenoch.com/

This is another light-hearted series, which doesn't have a single drop of the paranormal in it. But I don't hold that against the characters, because they are entertaining. LOL And I can never wait to see what trouble they get in to next.

13. Dragon Dance by Angela Knight in the Beyond The Dark anthology http://www.angelasknights.com/

As I mentioned before I love almost everything Ms Knight puts to pen. And I did enjoy this story, although I do admit I like the Mageverse stories better. If you like paranormal with a new twist, and you like them scorching hot, I'd definitly say give the Mageverse stories a try.



And now I am on my way to the library to pick up Under A Velvet Cloak, the latest in the Incarnations of Immortality series by Peirs Anthology. http://www.hipiers.com/

I started this series years ago and I have mixed feelings about there being another book. I always felt that it was ended with book 7, which was my favorite of the series. Now, well over a decade later, there is another story - one I never expected to be told - and while I am happy to find out more about the character, I always thought the mystery surrounding her was part of her charm.

Well, I am off to pick it up.


Links to other Thursday Thirteens!

1. http://candicegilmer.blogspot.com/



(leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


No comments: