Thursday, September 06, 2007

Thursday Thirteen: Things I learned this week

Thirteen Things about Michelle Houston


Thirteen things I learned this week

1. I love Genetics - at least so far. The teacher is cool, the class is fun, and I am insane enough to actually ENJOY doing crosses and trying to figure out what parental types result in a certain offspring. Gotta love hypothetical crosses.

2. I hate chemistry - without a doubt. Like the teacher(s), the lab is ok, but I hate the homework program we have to use, and to a large extent the subject matter. I can understand some of it, but a lot is going right over my head.

3. I am too much of a take-charge kind of person. I need to step back and let others do some of the work. So I am trying to do that in my two labs and in the student organization I just got elected President to. Delegation is going to be the hey there.

4. I learned that there is only so many times I can transfer water between instruments in the chemistry lab without going batty. 5 times is the limit. After that, I am b*tchy. LOL But I understand why we had to do it - to familiarize ourselves with the instruments.

5. I am basically a lazy person. I always knew if given half a chance I would procrastinate, so I always do my homework as soon as I can, but lately I have started slacking off. And it hit me - I am lazy. LOL

6. I really suffer from test anxiety. Try as I might to destract myself and to let the fact that I KNOW the material sooth me, I know that when I walk through the door to take the test, I will being to blank out on the material. When I actually look at the thing, my mind will go blank. Now I just have to figure out how to work past it.

7. I hate taking classes alone. I alsways feel more relaxed when I know at least one person in the class. And yet ...

8. I like taking online clases. Except for the sheer volume of busy work many of the professors give, I like working at my own pace through the material, provided I am done by the end of the week.

9. My daughter is almost as good of a poker player as I am. Although, that is NOT saying much. LOL She also stomps my *ss at monopoly - but that's not a new discovery. She did that her very first try playing - at about age 7. Now she's 9.

10. I always study better when I am writing. Since I haven't been writing the last few months, that might have something to do with my problems with this semester. I am hoping to change that next week.

11. Now as for factual information, I learned about genetics crosses, sex chromosomes (most of which I already knew), the funky feel of strawberry DNA (Genetics lab) and about making a gel matrix for electrocuting particles. LOL

12. I also learned a bit more about the periodic table of elements, Dalton's Theory, the Laws of Chemistry, and the like.

13. And I learned a bit about Piaget's Theory of adolescent development.

Yi-hah! This semester is off to a rocking start. LOL


Links to other Thursday Thirteens!

1. http://candicegilmer.blogspot.com/

(leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


No comments: